Businesses and Organizations
The Sam Houston Area Council works with companies and organizations to establish new career exploring posts.
- Easy to start a post
- Proven and flexible model
- Nationally recognized and endorsed
- Positive community involvement
- Potential future employees
- Youth mentoring and development
- Employee professional growth
- Strong local and national support
- General liability insurance
Career Exploring Program
The Career Exploring is a worksite-based program for young men and women ages 14 (and have completed the 8th grade) through 20 years old. The purpose of the Exploring program is to provide real world career experiences and develop other critical skills necessary for success in a college and a career including:
- Leadership development
- Character development
- Social and professional networking
- Community service
Exploring is based on a unique and dynamic relationship between youth and the organizations in their communities. Businesses and community organizations initiate a specific Career Explorer post by matching their people and program resources to the interests of youth in the community. The result is a program of activities that helps youth pursue their special interests, grow, and develop.
We work with thousands of local, regional, and national businesses and organizations to deliver the Career Exploring program. Career Exploring posts have been successfully established representing over 100 different career fields.
Most Popular Career Fields / Roles
||(Federal) Law Enforcement
||Health Careers (General)
|Food Service/Restaurant Owner
The Career Exploring Program provides:
- Develop potential contacts that may broaden employment options
- Boost self-confidence and experience success at school and work
- Develop physical and mental fitness
- Experience positive social interaction
- Encourage the skill and desire to help others
- Gain a keen respect for the basic rights of others
- Help make ethical choices
- Fulfill one’s responsibilities to society as a whole
- Acquire leadership skills
- Develop a variety of leadership traits
Youth involved in Exploring will:
- Gain practical knowledge of and experience in a career
- Engage in a program of activities centered on career opportunities, life skills, citizenship, character development, and leadership experience to encourage the development of the whole person
- Have opportunities to take on leadership roles
Liability Insurance for Participating Organizations
The general liability policy issued to Learning for Life provides primary liability insurance coverage for all participating organizations with an Explorer post. Automobile liability coverage is provided on a secondary or excess basis. All vehicles used in Exploring activities must be covered by automobile liability insurance with limits that meet or exceed the requirements of the state in which the vehicle is licensed. A $100,000 combined single limit is recommended. Any vehicle designed to carry 10 or more passengers is required to have limits of $100,000/$500,000/$100,000 or $500,000 combined single limit.
Although our general liability coverage has been extended on a primary basis to the participating organizations, the coverage for our volunteers remains on an excess basis. Any insurance coverage that a volunteer has, such as a homeowner policy or overage on his or her personal automobile, will still protect the volunteer on a primary basis, and Learning for Life’s coverage will be over and above the limits that the individual volunteer has purchased. If the volunteer has no personal insurance, then our coverage will extend to cover him or her immediately. There is no coverage for those who commit intentional or criminal acts. Liability insurance is purchased to provide financial protection in the event of accidents or injury that is neither expected nor intended.
For more information, contact us.